Weekly Tomato Basil Pasta
This pasta dish, adapted from "Oh She Glows" by Rachel Liddon, is such a favourite in our home. Last night while we were eating it, I told my four year old that it was pizza lunch at her school the next day. She said, "No! I want pasta for lunch!" Pasta over pizza lunch?!? Mom win!!
I timed how long it took me to make last night: 35 mins from start to finish y'all! Oh! And this receipe can easily be made vegan if you are so inclined. :)
What you need:
1/2 cup cashews soaked in hot water for a few hours
1/2 milk (or non-dairy milk)
2 cups uncooked pasta
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
4-5 tomatoes depending on their size, diced
3 handfuls of spinach
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: Steamed veggies
What you do:
1) Blend the cashews and milk together until smooth. You've made cashew cream!
2) Cook pasta in salted, boiling water until slightly al dente.
3) Heat up a large pan, then add olive oil.
4) After olive oil is hot, add onions and garlic. Saute until onions are translucent
4) Add tomatoes and spinach and cook until for about 10 minutes. Tomatoes should be a sauce like consistency.
5) Pour in cashew cream and dried herbs.
6) Season to taste and add cooked pasta to the sauce pan.
7) Optional: Add steamed veggies like broccoli and red peppers to increase the veggie content
8) Enjoy! (not optional)